Lancaster & District Choral SocietyLancaster & District Choral Society Contact: Stephanie Tulej
The Choral Society can trace its musical history back over 175 years. The choir had its origins in the Lancaster Grand Theatre, which was built in 1782, when a local owner and entrepreneur, Edmund Sharpe, decided the theatre required a choir and so created the Lancaster and District Musical Society in 1836, which eventually became the Choral Society it is today.
The Choral Society celebrated its 175th Anniversary throughout the 2011/12 year. Over the course of this period, the choir performed Elgar’s “Dream of Gerontius”, Berlioz’ “Grande Messe des Morts”, and a celebration concert of all things British, including music associated with the Queen’s Coronation.