Lancaster & District Choral SocietyLancaster & District Choral Society Contact: Linda Cook
We are one of the leading non-auditioned choirs in the North West of England. We have an average membership of around 60 singers, ranging from novice to very experienced, and everything in between. The choir had its origins in the Lancaster Grand Theatre, which was built in 1782. The owner and local entrepreneur, Edmund Sharpe, decided the theatre required a choir to enhance its image, so in 1836 he created the Lancaster and District Musical Society. This eventually became the Choral Society, as it is known today. More than 175 years later, the Lancaster & District Choral Society (L&DCS) is still going strong and conducted by John Perrin.